Monday, September 29, 2003

stories


Had a very nice, but very busy weekend...full of surprises.

Beth ended up coming out not till Saturday morning, then we drove about a half hour South on 71 to go to the Outlet Mall in Lodi. What a gorgeous day to walk around outside. I made a few purchases - I had wanted to get started on my picture frame shopping (we're giving wedding photos as Christmas gifts) but Mikasa had jack. I bought clothes instead, and a few more pieces of Pfaltzgraf to add to my collection.

So, we get home, and the phone rings, and it's Julia. This is how our conversation went:
Julia: Hi!
Me: Hi!
Julia: Can you hear me ok? I'm on my cell phone in the car.
Me: Yeah. What are you doing?
Julia: Traveling.
Me: Traveling? Where are you?
Julia: I'm on 480.
Me: WHAT?
Julia: What are you doing right now, because we'll be there in a half hour?

We had a good laugh over that one. Inevitably, every time Julia and Matt come to visit, we have a new story to tell.

Saturday night we went to my favorite sportsbar Cleats - they have the best burgers I've ever had. There was a group of 7 of us, 3 which were from New York. We all got ID'd (even Gerry who is 40), but the management gave the New Yorkers the biggest hassle because of the out of state licenses. Beth got a little irate, and I think probably could have punched the waitress in the face.

Sunday after church we went out to brunch where Kevin was lectured about smoking several times by the restaurant's owner. He stood over our table explaining that he has had 4 heart attacks and detailed the specifics of his open heart surgery to poor Kevin who has been through enough health related issues as it is. Meanwhile the rest of us tried to choke down the remainders of our breakfasts.

It was a good weekend.

No comments: