Wednesday, May 21, 2003

My weekend in New York

Perhaps Wedneday is a bit late to be talking about the weekend, but wow I haven't had time for anything since I came back Monday night!

I left Cleveland about 2pm. The car trip was uneventful, except for some rain right over the P.A./N.Y. border. Got into town about 7, after stopping a few times for a potty break. I have the world's smallest bladder. Luckily Mom and Dad had dinner waiting for me. I really wanted to go out and see some friends I hadn't seen in a long time, but once dinner was over and my mother and I started talking, the next 5 hours flew by and at midnight I went to bed. After several glasses of Bourbon.

I awoke with a slight headache at 6:45am, got in the shower, and by 7:30, Dad and I were on the way to Potsdam. Mom had already left to pick up her Godmother Barb, who is like my surrogate grandmother. After stopping for coffee and breakfast somewhere between Fulton and Antwerp, I felt much better. We met up with Mom and Barb at a gas station, got out the walkie-talkies, and continued up to Potsdam taking turns spotting for cops. Heh heh. Sometimes my Dad's love of gadgets really comes in handy.

We got into town about 2-ish. Checked into the hotel in which my parents were staying, in Potsdam, and Mom, Barb, and I took a much needed nap. at 3:30, Mom, Barb, and I left to go to Massena (20 minutes away) to check into the hotel where Barba, my aunt, and I were staying. Then we went to the Massena Airport to pick up my aunt at 5pm, who had flown in from Columbus. I've never seen such a tiny airport. One room! And the plane on which my aunt flew in was a teeny prop plane. I'm glad I didn't fly.

Dinner was at Maxfield's in downtown Potsdam, where Scott, Gretchen, and Gretchen's boyfriend Dan met up with us. A very nice dinner we had. The was the first time we had all been together, except Kevin, since Christmas. Later that night we headed back to the hotel so Gretchen could open her graduation gifts. Barb, my aunt, and I drove to Massena at about 11, and Probably everyone was in bed by 12.

I was up at 6:30 again, and looking out the window, the weather seemed doubtful. So I showered and hoped for sun, since Potsdam graduation was to be held outside. We got to graduation about 9:30 and the sun was shining, and it was warm! So warm, in fact, that all of us got a massive sunburn. First, though, before anything else, I have got to complain about how disorganized this graduation ceremony was. None of the names were called in alphabetical order, so no one knew when his or her child would be walking. Therefore, everyone felt the need to leave his or her seat, crowd around in front of the stage, and completely block the view of the polite people who remained seated. Idiots! It was mass pandemonium up there. Of course, when Gretchen's name was called, we couldn't see her walk across the stage or shake hands with the Dean. I was able to see her exit off the stage to my left, but that was it. So I made sure I screamed as loud and obnoxiously as possible: "Yeah, Gretchen!!!!" I got a lot of stares, but I didn't care.

After the ceremony, we did the whole picture-taking thing, followed by 3 hours worth of helping Gretchen pack up her dorm room, where Scott and I did most of the work. Finally, at about 4 we were back on the road to come back to Rochester. I was exhausted when we got back, and after unloading the cars (mine and Scott's), I was able to spend some time with my little brother, which I thought was much needed. So we went out for a ride in his new Thunderbird, and then played Euchre with Dan, and some other friends of his. It was a nice time.

Now it's back to the routine. The first day back after vacation is always hardest, and it didn't make things better that all my co-workers called me "Lobster" all day yesterday. Not to mention I feel like I'm a day behind. I only have 2 days now to get my house ready for my visitors this weekend!

No comments: