Friday, November 01, 2002

Hollow Weenie


I have to comment on the differences in Trick-or-Treat in Ohio and New York. I don't know who devised these "rules", but I find them odd. This was really my first true Halloween here, since now we have a house and can actually give out candy. Anyway, apparently in Ohio there is no door-knocking or doorbell-ringing before the exclamatory "Trick-or-Treat!" to which I was accustomed. Here, the kids just come up to the door and yell it as loud as possible and hope you hear them. The other "rule" is that trick-or-treating is allowed only between the hours of 6-8pm. This makes sense to me...less time for trouble to occur.

I made Kevin answer the door last night while I was reliving some old Halloween memories while talking to my mother on the phone:
Mom: Remember the year you dressed up as a No. 2 Pencil?
Me: Yes, Mom.
Mom: Remember the year you dressed up as a witch and answered the door?
Me: Yes, Mom.
Mom: Remember the year you decided to dress up as a Punk Rocker?
Me: Yes, Mom.
Mom: Remember the year you dressed up as Charlie Chaplin?
My mother recalled practically every ridiculous costume I've ever worn for Halloween.

Last night we were getting so many kids that finally Kevin just sat outside on the front steps with the candy and his 6-pack of Bud Light. I heard one all black-clad young child exclaim incredulously "You're giving out beer?!? Wow! You're cooler than Eminem!" Poor disillusioned child.

No comments: