Thursday, November 20, 2008

less stress but not stress-less

Yep. It's getting to be that time of year again. The time when I typically want to bury myself under my down comforter and not come out until December 26th.

As a loyal and faithful (and paid) church musician, my time in the next few weeks will be spent furiously coordinating extra rehearsals, re-arranging music because volunteers have suddenly decided they are too busy to come to rehearsals, and general peace-keeping among those who think that I, as the Music Director, am not focusing my attention where they think it ought to be focused.

I calculated that I've already worked a total of 48 hours this week, as of today, between my church duties and my 8-to-5 paralegal gig. By Saturday I'll be well over 50. Which, to me, is a lot. However (and that is a big 'however'), for some reason, this year seems a lot less hectic than years past. Of course, I haven't hit the 4-rehearsals-a-week mode yet. That doesn't come until the week after Thanksgiving. But, still, I'm in a much more calm state of mind today. Perhaps it's because I have planned out my time better this year. Or, perhaps it's because of the Yoga stretches I've been trying to do each night and the Prem Joshua tunes I've been listening to at my desk all day long. It's hard to say.

I've been mostly relaxed about everything, but I do want to let loose a few gripes. Here are some of the things which have been really irritating me lately:

1. Tailgaters. Seriously, people. I can only drive as fast as the person in front of me. Back off.
2. People who talk to me like I'm stupid. And it's not really condescension. It's stupid people talking to me as if my IQ, like theirs, is below room temperature.
3. Junk mail. It is SUCH a waste.
4. Our cold house. It's freezing. Especially the toilet seat.
5. I somehow expect everyone to be patient and uber-flexible with me, when I, myself, need to work on these traits. I'm not good about being go-with-the-flow. I'll keep trying.

Now, here are the things that are making me smile lately:

1. The Welcoming Committee. That would be the kitties greeting me at the door with their excited 'meows' (read: 'feed me') when I come home from work. That would also be Ryan waiting with a hello kiss and the glass of wine he already has poured for me.
2. Crocheting. The blanket I've been working on for over a year is almost done. I'm also working on a shawl and a butt-warmer to put over the c-c-c-cold leather seat in my....
3. ...new car! Now that my old one finally has been put to rest, I no longer have to worry about making it to work safely every morning.
4. Having everything I need. A roof over my head, good food to eat, a healthy, loving relationship, two good jobs, health-care coverage, a supportive family, the freedom to do and say whatever I want, and many other blessings.

Pictures to come soon. Maybe.

1 comment:

Pamela said...

Good for you for being able to see the whole picture. It's so easy to get tunnel-vision and focus on the crappy.

Also? The...new car! made me think of Bob Barker. What are you driving these days? Hopefully something more fabulous than my rocking minivan.