Tuesday, November 18, 2003

One of my very favorite contemporary Classical music composers, John Corigliano has released a new Concerto, according to this interview from The Associated Press.

The reason why I like Corigliano so much is probably because he's one of the few composers I've actually met, in addition to Lukas Foss and Pauline Oliveros. While still at B-W I was fortunate to meet Foss and Corigliano during FOCUS Festival events. I attended a Masterclass given by Oliveros during my senior year, and since there were, maybe, 10 of us in the class, there was a lot of one-on-one time with the composer herself.

Anyway, Corigliano, in my opinion, has an impressive oevre, from song cycles (with text by Dylan Thomas...yum!), to concerti, to symphonies, to film scores, including The Red Violin, which I love.

No comments: