Saturday, November 01, 2003

Busy, busy, busy.

We're showing the house this afternoon, and again tomorrow evening. These realtors want to come in at the most inconvenient times. Last night, I got a call asking to come in this morning and I had to put my foot down and say 'no way'. Saturday morning is the only time I have to enjoy myself and get anything done around here. So they're coming about 2. Tomorrow we're showing at 5. Dinner time. Fantastic.

So, last night I gave in. Kevin previously had agreed with me that we'd skip trick-or-treat last night, keep the lights off, and hunker down in front of the TV. I think he was reluctant to talk to the nosy neighbors about us moving. Certainly everyone has seen the big honking Century 21 sign in the front yard, but we haven't really talked to the neighbors since it went up. Anyway, I think Kevin wanted to avoid having to answer too many questions, and understandably so.

But last night, right before I left work, he called me to tell me he had changed his mind and would I stop and pick up some candy on the way home. That was at 4. Trick-or-treat started at 6. So I hit Drugmart on the way home. They were out. Then I went to Tops. They were out. I came home, we ate dinner, and made a mad dash for Giant Eagle. They were nearly cleaned out, but we managed to get a few bags (7) of candy. We got home just in time.

Not a lot of kids this year, but I didn't hide in the house like last year and make Kevin do it alone. It was nice enough outside that we sat out on the front steps for several hours. Kevin and 80s Frank had their celebratory beers, and I had my mug of chai. The kids looked great. I am still bothered by the fact that no one rings the doorbell here. They just stand out there and yell "trick-or-treat". However, this year, hardly any of the kids even said that. Most of them just walked up the driveway to us, thrust their pillowcases in our faces, and stared at us. Some of them sort of grunted pre-historically till we gave up the candy, but most didn't say 'trick-or-treat' at all. Greedy little buggers.

No comments: