Friday, October 03, 2008

date night/debate night

Instead of going out for date night this week, we decided to stay home and park it on the sofa. We ordered a pizza from Little Venice, opened a bottle of Yalumba Shiraz Voignier, and watched the debate.

Like most everyone else, we had pretty low expectations for Sarah Palin. I don't like her. Not even close. I think she makes women look bad; like we wouldn't be able to hack it in the White House. I think she is recklessly undoing all of the good that Hillary Clinton has done for women. (For further commentary on this particular dymanic, see this article from Slate.)

Ryan and I cheered for Joe Biden and shook our heads in digust when Palin started rambling on about things that didn't make any sense. We were worried that Joe wouldn't keep his cool. I have to give him a lot of credit for holding himself together every time Palin said something asinine. Instead of getting angry, he just flashed that spectacular Irish smile.

I think both candidates handeled themselves well, but Biden clearly had more of a command of the issues. His experience spoke volumes above Palin's lack thereof. (In fact, I like to joke that I have more foreign policy experience than Sarah Palin simply because I was a Student Ambassador and traveled overseas. To other continents. I even attended a session of Parliament in Canberra in 1992. That qualifies me for the VP, doesn't it??)

So, Obama's poll numbers jumped after last night. Good. What I want most out of this election is for people to realize that voting is about using your brain just as much as, if not more than, using your heart. It is blatantly apparent, abundantly obvious, painfully so, that Sarah Palin should not be in this race. What will it take for the American people to realize this?

Don't you want someone in the White House who is smarter than you? I do.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

Not me. I'm a regular, Joe Sixpack, patriotic American. I don't like smart, college-educated brainiacs who think they're better than me! I want my country's leaders to be the folks who live down the street, who have regular jobs, go to a regular (but Christian!) church, and don't know any of them big fancy smart-talk words. Yep.

I'm voting for McCain-Palin cause I hate smart people.

Pamela said...

Dadgumit, Ryan, dontcha knooow I had plans to make that veery seeme comment. And reeeelly, whooo can't git bih-hind the "Drill, baby, drill" mentality? You teach that to the small children, dontcha noooow? She's a heckuva regular hockey mom, and she was durn right when she said "It would be a travesty if we quit now in Iraq."

I'm also comforted that the Palins, with their over $1 mil in real estate holdings, are an average, American family. Just. Like. Mine?

Kay said...

Please tell me that first fellow was joking. Please. That's what got us in this mess before. I'm with you, definitely!

battlemaiden said...

Kay, he is DEFINITELY joking. Thank goodness!