Thursday, June 19, 2008

bino-scoping, 101

I've been reading up on the techniques of digiscoping and binoscoping lately, and becoming more and more fascinated. Digiscoping requires a spotting scope with an apparatus for mounting your digital camera. I don't have a spotting scope as of yet, but it's on my long list of things to purchase some time soon. You can achieve the same sort of effect by pointing your digital camera through your binoculars. So, I decided to try it. My first go at it wasn't so bad. My set-up looked like this (you can see the bird feeders in the background):


I had to take a couple of practice shots before the birds showed up:

First to visit was a male house finch:


We also have an entire family of downy woodpeckers hanging around. The darn things move so erratically that it's difficult to get a shot that isn't blurry. This is my favorite one. Even though you can see the outline of the eyepiece on my binos, I love this photo of Mom feeding Junior:

No comments: