I don't know why I got out of the habit of blogging. Life getting in the way? Maybe. Some pretty major events have happened in the near year and a half since I last posted.
1. I think it's a big deal that my little brother finally proposed to his long-time girlfriend. They are now happily engaged and have moved from Greensboro back to Rochester. My mother, of course, is over the moon for this because my brother is the favorite. My brother's fiancee and I have been close since the beginning, so I'm excited to have my friend back. Oh yeah, and it's cool to hang with my brother again, too.
2. Last summer, while we still lived in the South Wedge, we were victims of car break-ins on two separate occasions. Both of our cars had windows smashed and items stolen. Fed up, we moved out of the neighborhood last September. In fact, the night before we moved, I was up late (naturally) reading and I happened to peek out the bedroom window. What did I see? Sure enough, there was a strange guy shining a light into my neighbor's car window. I called the police while Ryan went out to try and scare the lurker away. The 911 operator didn't seem to care at all about what I was telling her, nor did the police ever come.
Moving sucks, any way you look at it, but I'm glad we went through with it. I loved the Wedge a lot because everything was within walking distance - shops, grocers, bars, parks, etc., but it was getting to the point where I couldn't sleep at night.
3. My sister had a nervous break-down about 2 months after starting her graduate work at UGA last Fall. I'm going to spare everyone those details, but she seems to be fine now. It was just a stressful time for our family.
4. While my sister was having her break-down I, myself, started going to therapy. I was long overdue. I have a difficult family (actually my parents are difficult) and it was getting to the point where I was seriously lacking the skills to be able to handle their "antics" appropriately. I am also going to spare those details, but be assured that I am doing just fine. I've learned some pretty good coping skills that have helped tremendously.
5. The best thing that's happened in the last year was marrying my husband. We eloped to Lake Placid two months ago, and let me tell you, eloping is the way to go. After talking about this for months and years we finally decided to just go and do it. It was a huge surprise to a lot of people, but almost everyone was thrilled when they learned the news.
And that's my life in a nutshell. I think I'll be posting more often now, but previously, I think I just needed a break to really get stuff sorted out.