Friday, August 15, 2003

In the Dark


I suppose I should account for my experience with this blackout, but I am really sick of hearing about it. I really would just like for our WATER to be restored. I was at work yesterday afternoon when the power went off. The drive home, which normally takes me 10 to 15 minutes, lasted 45 minutes because the idiots on the roads out here just barrel through the intersections without stopping first.

No one showed up to choir practice last night, presumeably because they were stuck downtown. (We're going to have to wing it on Sunday.) I went over to Kevin's grandmother's apartment last night to check on her and make sure she wasn't stuck in her electric recliner, which she wasn't, thankfully, and also to bring her a cooler and ice for her insulin. My mother-in-law was nice enough to bring me a few gallons of gas for my car, since Kevin's car was stuck in the garage (electric), and we couldn't find the key to open the back door. Kevin didn't have to work last night, so despite the heat, we went to bed relatively early. Did I get any sleep? Of course not. Aside from it being a torrid 85 degrees in our bedroom, the wind-up alarm clock ticked away next to my ear all night long, keeping me awake.

The power finally came back on this morning about 5am. Alas, however, we have only a trickle of water coming from the faucets. Therefore, I was really unable to shower this morning, and as of this minute, there is still no water at our house that I know of. I may have to go to Medina tonight, to shower at my mother-in-law's, because it's now 90 degrees outside and I STINK.

We're still going to see Tori tomorrow, though!

I wonder if there will be a Baby Boom nine months from now....

No comments: